Faith Formation refers to the ways we grow in faith as individuals and as community. Faith Formation is also about the ways we share our faith from generation to generation. We seek to provide resources, experiences, and support for similar ministries in local congregations.
Share Your Faith Formation Ideas
- Linwood Christian Church, Indianapolis, may use the Barbee Blessing gift for faith formation to take middle schoolers and others to Cane Ridge. “We are [also] looking at building on camp experiences with middle schoolers, and thinking about how we can reach out to children in our neighborhood.”
- “We are helping to cover costs for an upcoming Disciples retreat between our three churches in South Bend, Elkhart, and Mishawaka.” – Dean Heisey, Co-Pastor, Southside Christian, South Bend (in response to the Barbee Blessing gift)
Email your faith formation ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org
Faith Formation Grant
The Regional Board approved guidelines submitted by the Faith Formation Commission establishing the opportunity for congregations to apply for faith formation grants of up to $5,000. The grants will be funded by a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the Barbee Christian Camp.
The intention is to form a partnership between congregations and the Region in significant new expressions of ministry that will enable the development of faith communities that are more effectively involved in faith formation.
We host camps each summer for several different age groups.
Indiana Youth Council Application Deadline Extended
The Indiana Youth Council (IYC) is a group of young people from around the state who serve as representatives for youth throughout the region. IYC plans and coordinates all youth events in the region except summer camps. Those applying for IYC positions should be active in their local congregation, attend camps and/or other regional activities, show interest in being part of youth ministry in the region, and exhibit good leadership qualities. Applicants should review the IYC Constitution and Code of Ethics before they apply. Application materials are due: February 2023.
Children Worship and Wonder
- Children Worship & Wonder offers an exciting way to approach faith formation with children. The approach recognizes children as spiritual beings who already have a relationship with God. Through Children Worship & Wonder, children learn about God as they experience God. They hear Bible stories in a way that allows them to enter into the stories and form responses out of their own life experiences. Children Worship & Wonder can be used with children beginning at age 3. A wide age range can be grouped together in one class. It is a Montessori influenced program that often works wonders with children who have attention deficit problems.
- You can be trained to become a Worship & Wonder Trainer. Learn more and register.
*Information taken from the Disciples Home Missions Children’s Ministries webpage.
OTHER (Links, Resources, etc.)
- Disciple Youth Ministry Network (for adult leaders)
Disciples Women’s Ministries is a conduit for diverse connections empowering each woman to find her voice and live out her call.The Indiana Women’s Counsel seeks to facilitate opportunities for gathering and connecting the Disciples Women of Indiana, and would be pleased to receive ideas and suggestions for new ways to bring the Indiana women of faith together. Feel free to be in touch with Rev. Cheryl Russell with ideas and questions at email@example.com